My mother-in law sent me home yesterday with some fresh pizza dough for the neighborhood Italian grocer, as well as left over fresh mozzarella and prosciutto from that morning’s brunch. It seemed the prefect makings for a quick calzone dinner. It ended up being easy and possibly the best calzone I’ve ever had.
- Oil a baking sheet
- Spread out the pizza dough to the size of the baking sheet
- On 1/2, spread ricotta cheese, sprinkle with fresh basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt & pepper
- Spread leftover fresh mozzarella & prosciutto. Drizzle with olive oil
- Fold empty side of the dough over filled side, roll bottom edge over top edge to seal the calzone.
- Drizzle top of calzone with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Cover, leave to rest for 20 minutes, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown
- Try to wait and not burn yourself eating this – the hardest part of the whole recipe